Saturday, December 13, 2014

#YOGMO: Marrakesh

Oh, crap... This is where Is tart panicking becasue like I said, I did not keep up with blogging whatsoever.... Oh well, here is to a valiant attempt to do the rest of my Moroccan adventures justice in less than a week when I also have to study for exams...

So, A couple blogs back, you read that I was pulling an all-nighter writing because I needed to stay up all night so I wouldn't sleep through an alarm. Well, that's how my journey to Marrakesh began. Another trip with the Explorers' Club, it wasn't meant to be a typical trip, we were going to go ziplining and do a ropes course outside of Marrekesh. When you're doing physical activity like ziplinging and trying to balance over the ground while standing on a rope, I advise you not to make the same decision I did when the only sleep you'll be able to have is on a bus full of Moroccan college students pounding the alarm with Nicki and 2 Chainz at 4 a.m. while running up and down the aisles of the bus. Needless to say, happy-go-lucky Emily was surpressed by everyone's favorite diva, Tiffany. After what probably seemed like hours of relentless complaining that was actually executed through jibberish suffered by Anamaria, my bus buddy, I shut up and went to sleep. Later, when I woke up again, and the same thing was happening she shut me up by playing 10 Things I Hate About You. Which, literally made my year. FYI, if you haven't heard me incessantly whining about not watching it in 2854 years, I've really been wanting to watch it since I saw it at the Folger Shakespeare Library in DC this spring, and then, someone took it from the LCWS office. Rude. Then, to keep from whining more like a sleepy toddler (it was a REALLY long bus ride), Anamaria handed her iPad over to me, and I got hooked on Sherlock.

Finally, we reached where we were suppose to be outside of Marrakesh, kinda.. The road to the restaurant was to rough for the bus, so we were dropped off on the side of the road, and began trekking over a hill because we're the Explorers and Nothing Stops Us... The climb wasn't too bad, just rocky, nothing close to Bin El Ouidane. My inner mountain goat was chewing his cud while tackling this one. Finally, we got to the top, and walked along some nice rows of trees that just reminded me of what I imagine Italy to look like. Speaking of Italy, I REALLY need to go, like who goes to Slovakia and Morocco before Italy? But, I'll need like a month to see everything I want, so yeah, sad news for the college kid. Anyway, we had lunch in this adorable little tent-like structure with Moroccan style decorations.

After the typical meal of tagine with fruit to follow as a dessert, it was time to get over to the ziplinging site. Of course, I was pumped, who goes whitewater rafting in the Swiss Alps and rappel off of a castle wall in Wales without being down for some zipline in Morocco? We had to learn the typical zipline material, like what to do if you get stuck on the middle of the wire over the canyon, etc. which, was a little concerning since the instructor was speaking French, but good thing we were on a trip with a bunch of people who spoke English. Then, it was go-time. First, was a swinging bridge across one of the canyons, and after watching the Jack Black remake of King Kong the weekend before in Casablanca, I was ready to own that. But, ya'know... safety and stuff, made me wait... that "one at a time" deal. Then, I finally got to the bridge, which was not nearly as stable as I thought it would be. I would LOVE to see Jack Sparrow run across that bridge gracefully while escaping a cannibalistic tribe. Lesson #1 from Morocco: Hollywood Lies Shocker! Right? That was actually the most nerve-wracking thing I had done because the bridge kept swaying.

Luckily, the actual ziplines weren't that bad, probably because there's nothing you can really do besides having to stop yourself or sloth-shimmy back to one side if you get stuck. It was truly one of the many times I wish i had a GoPro in my life, because soaring over the ravines was amazing. I totally had my childhood dream fulfilled of feeling like a spy. As I was going across on the last zipline, I just thought, "I'm in Morocco on a zipline, zooming over a cactus filled gorge. And just a few years ago, I was crying over chemistry and trigonometry homework."

After zipping, we did a ropes course, which I'm not sure was more difficult because I was sleepy or because I'm just horribly uncoordinated. Totally not my favorite part of the day, but there were some mini-ziplines which made up for it. However, it was practically dark when we finished there, so getting back to the bus was complicated because it was so dark. Going down a rocky hillside with some diva queens (and for once, it wasn't me), was probably the most upset I had been in awhile. Of course, I had given my phone to a friend to carry in her bag, and somehow got stuck behind a bunch of people taking there time down the hill. Once we got down from there, only a few of us had flashlights, and everyone else was gone. It became really stressful, as there was a small forest and village between us and the road where the bus was parked, so there was major debate about which way to go. Eventually, we just decided to keep walking, and came to the village, when I stormed to the bus. I just wanted to be on the bus. Sleep depravity makes for an even worse situation when Emily is frustrated and lost.

Obviously, I didn't eat everything because not even
 Morocco can break me from my picky habits.
Coming into Marrakesh, it felt like a "Moroccan Vegas," which is actually how it was described to me. When we got to our hotel, I would have been totally content in just laying on my bed, and not getting up until the next day, but my friends encouraged me to get my sleepy, exhausted butt up and go out for dinner. We decided to go to the square in Marrakesh, which is absolutely crazy, especially at night. Daily, food vendors set up makeshift restaurants in the square, and it's a jungle of couscous and tagine. I found this video of Andrew Zimmerman's Bizarre Foods visiting Marrakesh, which pretty well sums up what the square is like. ( click to see madness in Marrakesh) As we were walking around looking for a place to eat, vendors attacked the white kids with the Moroccan, begging us to come to their restaurant and eat. Eventually, one guy told us what we were basically wondering, "It's all the same shit." Out of principle, I wouldn't sit down at any of these places, because I just don't appreciate harassment, but eventually, we found one that had learned this critical lesson in Business 101. While there, Ihad an amazing chicken couscous that AUI could never do justice.

After dinner, we explored in the marche next to the square, where I finally found my teapot and glasses. Although I was being super indecisive about the tea glasses, as is second nature to me, they were basically the closest thing I had in mind (because I still don't even know what I had in mind), and I haven't really been able to find anything that I would like better. After a very long day for me and everyone else, we all decided to go back to the hotel, where the Moroccan students were getting their second wind to go out for the night, after Halloween, mind you!

The next day, was all about being more touristy and shopping in Marrakesh. We took a taxi which dropped us off at the Mosque, where we walked around to take pictures, then went into a garden. The mosque in Marrakesh is actually very old, but has been rebuilt as new kings claim that it doesn't truly face Mecca. Regardless, the site is pretty awesome.

One of the many "ferocious" dogs I was warned to stay away from while in Morocco.
Oh, the terror!














Making our way back to where we were the night before, we came to the square, which was completely stripped down. All that was there were a couple of snake charmers and henna artists. Oh, and the monkey guy. Why is there ALWAYS a monkey guy that just shows up in Morocco? Obviously, I stayed far away from the cobras, and it finally occurred to me how ridiculous it is to have snake charmers. Literally, that snake could snap and slither it's way over to me and do whatever makes snakes so terrifying to me. Slithering? Biting? The possibility of being killed? Literally, I do not care how "charming" you are. That is a safety hazard.

Next, we went across the square to some backstreets, where we went shopping for souvenirs. I had ran out of cash after buying some pants (which was probably my funniest bargaining story in Morocco. After settling on a price, I only had about half as much in Dirhams. Instead of losing a sale, they just decided to give them to me). So, my shopping was cut short for the day.

Then, we went to an old palace, which was pretty awesome. It reminded me a lot of Hampton Court since most of it was just courtyards and walkways, but nonetheless, there was some beautiful tilework and stone carvings.
















After the palace, there was some shopping in another area, where the prices were fixed. I was slightly disappointed that I had ran out of money, because I really wanted a lantern, and there were several shops there reasonably priced, but it's Morocco, and I knew I would find more.

Before heading back to the hotel to get on the bus for Ifrane, we stopped for falafel, well everyone else did. Still not that into compromising my picky nature. It was all aboard the AUI express.

No comments:

Post a Comment